Tuesday, 3 July 2012

Just one more Sorbetto...

I love this pattern!!  It is just so simple and offers endless possibilities by making slight variations.  And even better still, this simple top is all over the high street but at least by making it yourself, or getting one made for you if you're not so crafty, you can have it in whatever colour you like.  I've opted here for a bright rainbow cotton shirting - well I needed a taste of summer and I think this is the only way I can see it happening in the UK...


I am loving Collette patterns and have two dresses that I aim to make, the first being Hazel (more on that a later date).  I follow a number of blogs and Colleterie.com is one I check several times a week - it is an excellent source of tips, techniques, design ideas and also regularly features people's creations. 


Each time I've made this top, I make a slight variation - a little longer in the body, slightly less cutaway at the front of the armhole and this time was no exception.

I'm not a fan of bias tape - its tricky to use, time consuming to use to get the best result, varies enormously in quality.  So I wanted to make this top but without the bias tape.


I decided to use front and back facings to make the edges super neat clean and crisp and this also provides some lining to the bust.  I guess on a more sheer fabric you could simply do a full lining...

Rather than doing darts on the inner fabric (no reason why you couldn't though), I used the front template and cut the facing fabric at the same level as the darts.  I also folded the template so the front pleat was omitted, purely to save fabric.  I repeated the same process to get the back facing cut and also cut both the back facing and back piece as two separate pieces rather than cutting on the fold as directed.  After sewing the darts and the pleat, the shoulder seams on the main fabric and the facing were next.  Then with right sides together, I sewed the armholes and the neck and then pulled the back pieces through the gap at the shoulder seams.

the elephant print version - using bias binding

This has given me more ideas now as I can see this top with a feature button fastening at the top of the back seam - mainly for added decorative interest but would also help going over the head, especially if I were to make it a slightly closer fit.  

I told you the possibilities are endless...even adding the links in this post has given me two more ideas for future versions!! ...just a shame I can't spend endless hours sewing...

No comments:

Post a Comment