Thursday 3 May 2012

Japanese Knot Bag

I have been meaning to make one of these for months, when I first got the January 2012 issue of 'Making' magazine.  






I have even had the pattern pieces for the shoulder size bag cut out for over a fortnight to give me the added kick up the bum to make it as I think it may be a fairly quick make.  The atrocious UK weather has made me get my act together and what better rainy day project than this?  Especially when I plan on using it on our upcoming holiday to Dorset.  I am just hoping that our 'drought' stricken country will be having some better weather soon...



an action shot...



I have used some camouflage butterfly print cotton for the outside with an oddment of bright turquoise burnout fabric for the lining.  This bag is reversible though which makes is even more of a versatile fun project.  You can have one side slightly more plain and have one side really wild and funky for when   you need to put a smile on your face.


This is a really quick make and probably took me a (leisurely) hour and a half - by which I mean that included drinking a cup of tea and eating a Kit Kat.  I like to enjoy myself totally when sewing!...




And here it is,  the finished article.  Perfect bag for chucking in any bits and bobs, odds and sods, and the way the long handle passes through the short one is genius as it stops any things dropping out.  However,  I would use interfacing on at least one side of the bag to help retain the shape and integrity of the bag.


book, phone, crochet hook, yarn, etc...
Unfortunately, I have discovered to my cost that this is the perfect size for a cross body version for a nearly 5 year old!  It is just the right size for a couple of princesses, a teddy bear, a note book and pen and a tube of Smarties...


When I make this bag again, I think I may make the actual body of the bag slightly larger just to accommodate all the extra odds and sods.  I know the best solution would be not to carry so much crap round but its amazing what you find you need and/or get asked to out in your bag. 


I have imminent plans to make an evening version of the hand bag sized one  - I think a nice black velvet or similarly posh bit of fabric with something a bit wild for the lining.  I can also see the use of sparkly bits on it too and I may also want to slim the handles down a little depending on the fabric choice.  


Right, now for the next item on my sewing to do list....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christmas Fair Saturday 1 December

It seems to be the countdown to the big day starts earlier every year and as some one who has a November birthday, I've grown used to ...