Monday 5 March 2012

Tools of my trade



Here are the tools of my trade and without them I would be lost - all creativity stopped, a bit like Samson without his hair.  Would I go as far to say as I would grab them if I were fleeing my burning home?  No but they would be one of the first things I would have to go and replace.


My most favourite is the odd looking wooden egg shaped one.  After searching endlessly for ergonomic crochet hooks a few years ago on the internet, this one came to light.  After much deliberating I ordered it all the way from Canada and almost didn't because of the cost.  I do have to thank my husband here for the kick up the backside to order it so that I could carry on being creative.  It arrived super quick and is marvellous - you do have to get used to it though due to its shape and may not suit everyone depending on the way you hold your hook.  I love the way the wood is so tactile and once you've been crocheting for a while, the wood takes on the heat from your hand and you can crochet for hours.  Trust me, I've done it.


As like most people, I have more than one project on the go and needed different sizes, I also spotted on Google instructions on how to make your own ergonomic hook.  Simply using regular crochet hooks, I wrapped some masking tape around the handle to pad it out a bit (more on smaller hooks and less on the fatter ones) and then slid/pushed/jammed a couple of rubber pen grips on that I bought through good old Ebay.  Voila!   Good to go and surprisingly comfy...






I have also bought a 7mm Addi Swing Turbo hook which is fairly new on the market.  It looks very strange and looks almost like a toothbrush handle.  It is fairly good although it is almost too curved - maybe done for eye appeal rather than actual comfort?  I think I may end up customising this myself and padding it out in a few places..


Anyway, must pick up said hook now and get to it as have many items still to make in time for fast approaching craft fair....more on that soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christmas Fair Saturday 1 December

It seems to be the countdown to the big day starts earlier every year and as some one who has a November birthday, I've grown used to ...